Re: Hardcoding of .la file paths in .la files

 > Me too.  The actual problem seems to have been causing by a behavior of
 > ldconfig that we almost never see because we tend to ship library
 > packages with lib$SONAME.so.$SOVERSION symbolic links already in the
 > package payload.

 I don't want to nitpick, but the SONAME is what you are calling
 lib$SONAME.so.$SOVERSION.  What you call $SONAME doesn't actually have
 a name, but is sometimes referenced as the library name (actually
 lib$SONAME).  Linux's dynamic linker doesn't really understand version
 numbers (at least not in the way, say, IRIX does, which would be closer
 to what you wrote, but not quite)

 What we ship in the packages is a symbolic link $SONAME -> $FILENAME.

--
Marcelo