Re: recent spam to this list

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:21:33PM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> * Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> [2003-10-09 22:03]:
>> (please take this off -private, don't sure where, though.  Please
>> quote me anywhere.)

>  Same for me -- so this whole message is quoteable outside of -private.

Moved to devel, where it might pester less people.

>> I think it's a silly proposal, since it will hinder people like me who
>> are sending all their mail from a laptop to send their mail properly.

>  The concept of SMTP AUTH is completely new to you, is it?  Sorry, these
> kind of objections are just as silly as you call the proposal silly.

>> but it'll suck for mobile users in general.
>
>  Mobile users are strongly encouraged to use SMTP AUTH.

SMTP AUTH is no magic solution, you'd have to start routing mail by
sender instead of recipient.

Take myself, sharing a computer at home with somebody else who uses a
completely different domain for her e-mail. Currently I simply take
all mail and throw it to my current[1] internet access provider's
smarthost. I would have to change the mail routing to send mail from
me to smarthost A and mail from the other person to smarthost B.

Even myself alone uses different domains for my mail, e.g. very rarely
@debian.org.
                cu andreas
[1] Yes, I change them.