Re: Question about libcdda_paranoia

Henning Moll <newsScott@gmx.de> writes:

> But now i am in a bit of trouble: i packaged a woody backport of k3b.
> This programm tries to dlopen (=at runtime) 'libcdda_paranoia.so'. But
> that is only possible if package 'libcdparanoia0-dev' is installed.
> This would mean a dependency to a development package.
> Is this a bug in k3b? Should k3b try to dlopen 'libcdda_paranoia.so.0'
> instead?

That's probably what I would do...

> Is there a standard for so-naming (which is respected by all/ most
> Gnu/Linux distributions)?

Well, the actual process involved is something like this: you specify
-lfoo on the ld (cc) command line; the linker finds and reads
libfoo.so, and looks for the SONAME field in it; that soname
(typically libfoo.so.2) is written into the binary; when the binary is
loaded by ld.so, that looks for the libfoo.so.2 that was the soname.
So in the "normal" process, you only need lib*.so at build time, and
the major-version symlink at runtime.  Plus, if the major version of
the library chages, you'll probably need to change your program
anyways.  So I think explicitly writing in libcdda_paranoia.so.0 is
actually the right thing to do.

	-- Abra Mitchell