Re: The IPsec kernel problem

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

>  * If it's a feature, can it be disabled/enabled at runtime?
>
>    Sinec we're making generic kernels, this is a must.  The presence
>    of the patch should not prevent me from doing something that I would
>    otherwise be able to do.
>
> I cannot disable IPsec at runtime as I cannot replace the IP stack
> at runtime, and it modifies the IP stack. Moreover, you state the

The IPSEC stack does nothing unless you specify policies through
PFKEY or NETLINK.  In other words, it is disabled by default.

> reason why you should not put IPsec in the kernel right there: "The
> presence of the patch should not prevent me from doing something
> that I would otherwise be able to do." Well, it does.

It does not prevent you from doing anything with the *kernel image*
that you otherwise would be able to do.

You argument fails even with the kernel source as the patch is easily
reversed.