Programming-Question

Hallo,

I´ve an programming-question and would be very happy, if you can
help me or tell me, where I can find information relating to this or who
I could ask. Thanks a lot!

I´d like to know, if Debian (or Linux in general) uses BIOS-functions for
hard drive-acces on 386+ system or if it has it´s own routines. In that
case - how do they work? And where can I find someting about Ultra-DMA
programming?
(I want to write my own boot-manager and a program to create images
or partitions, but using BIOS seems to be very slow (but I also only have
tried it with small buffers...))

Cheers,
doni

Die Besten ihrer Klasse! WEB.DE FreeMail (1,7) und WEB.DE Club (1,9) -
bei der Stiftung Warentest - ein Doppelsieg! http://f.web.de/?mc=021184