[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: To what extent should Debian modify the kernel? (Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> So, I'm curious why you chose to make it a part of the Debian kernel source,
> rather than a separate patch (kernel-patch-ipsec or such).

Well the reason for it to be in the default kernel-source is simple:

The patch should be used on all default Debian kernel images unless
the arch maintainer chooses to override it.

> I suppose the more fundamental question is, what is your vision for the
> Debian kernel source?  What do you feel belongs there, and what does not?

Perhaps vision is too strong a word.

I have some simple checks when it comes to patch inclusion:

* Is it actively maintained by someone?

  If it's not maintained then there is very little chance for me to
  include it as I have no time in fixing random breakages.

* If it's a feature, can it be disabled/enabled at runtime?

  Sinec we're making generic kernels, this is a must.  The presence
  of the patch should not prevent me from doing something that I would
  otherwise be able to do.

  If the patch only produces a module then it obviously passes this test.

* If it's a bug fix, how bad are its side-effects?

  I'm not going to accept any bug fix that makes the kernel better for
  10% of the users but worse for the other 90%.

* What size impact does it have to the binary kernel image?

  This is very important for the debian-boot team.

  Again it would be best if it was completely modularised.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 is out! ( http://www.debian.org/ )
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>
Home Page: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/
PGP Key: http://gondor.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt

Reply to: