Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

hi,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:13:51PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Speaking as a user, too, I want something I can compile a kernel from.
> I'm no kernel hacker and do not intend to become one. Thus I see
> absolutely no reason, why I should want a debian-package with a
> unmodified source-tree. Escecially as an unmodified source-tree is in
> my experience almost only useful for i386. (Perhaps getting better
> in the last time, but anything not a debian kernel used to be even
> a larger nightmare than the debian-kernels).

i have to say, that an vanilla kernel-source in Debian would be nice,
but i never had Problems with compiling the source Packages which
are in the Distribution now. I think the Kernel-Source-Package
Maintainers know what they are doin, and if the Patches are
limited to Security Fixes and things which make the Kernel more
stable and secure i don't have Problems with the current situation.

People which do not want to take the Debian Sources because, the're
patched, have the possibility to use the Kernel Sources from kernel.org,
and use make-kpkg to create an Debian Package.

bye,
    - michael