Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

also sprach Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> [2003.09.21.1644 +0200]:
> This is very standard practice for distribution kernels.  It's
> fairly rare for users to notice negative effects and the positive
> effects (better hardware support, more features, better
> performance or what have we) are generally seen to be worthwhile.

... in addition to possibly more bugs and the inability of
interaction with the kernel and the rest of the world. linux-kernel
can not help you anymore, as you don't run the linux kernel anymore,
and third-party software may just fail.

I am not saying that all this shouldn't happen. I am just saying it
shouldn't be the default. Debian is about choice, isn't it? Well,
opt-in choice it should be!

`. `'`