Re: Unclosed ITP (#208508) ?

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 21:11, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 09:30:54PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> > > Thanks for quick response. What can I do right now? I am not Debian
> > > developer yet. Scott James Remnant sponsored this package for me.
> > > He ask me to add the following lines to debian/control file:
> > >
> > > Maintainer: Bartosz Fe?ski <keybuk-sponsoring-fenio@debian.org>
> > > Uploaders: Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com>, Bartosz Fe?ski <fenio@o2.pl>
> > >
> > > And after that he uploaded it. Hmm... should I contact him or try
> > > to manually close this bugreport?
> >
> > Anyhow, there was _something_ messed up. I don't know what and who did
> > it...
> It seems that problem was with changelog. I didn't change email address
> to correspondent but I didn't know about it.

I sat down and had a bit of a think about this, as I'm sure the reason I
asked for the Uploaders: field was to *prevent* this ... then went and
had a talk with elmo.

The problem isn't that your e-mail address was wrong in
debian/changelog, the fact it was listed in Uploaders: should've stopped
it being treated as an NMU.

The problem is that changelog is policy-recommended to be UTF-8 whereas
control isn't...  Because your name has an accented character in it,
katie treats them as different.

There's three ways to fix this:

  1) Write your name in UTF-8 in both changelog and control:

     Bartosz Fe\303\261ski <fenio@o2.pl>

  2) Write your name in ISO-8859-1 in both changelog and control:

     Bartosz Fe\361ski <fenio@o2.pl>

  3) Write an ASCIIfied version of your name in both changelog and
     control:

     Bartosz Fenski <fenio@o2.pl

Personally I go for (1), others may have a different opinion.

It's also worth beating people up about half-utf-8ing things, instead of
going the full way and making sure the tools caught up.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?