Re: boot problem : snort starts too soon

Timothy Demulder dijo [Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 05:52:59PM +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> Could it be possible to start snort at a later time in the bootprocess?
> I'm asking this because ppp starts S14 and snort starts S20.
> Point is, pppd call <provider> takes a couple of seconds to negotiate an
> ip with the ISP so snort doesn't have an ip on ppp0 when it gets called
> and fails to start every single time.
>
> I guess I'm not the only one experiencing this ;)

Hi,

I think something like this in the init script would suffice:

-----------------------
# Retry five times (arbitrary number - just don't sit there forever)
STARTED=''
for i in 1 2 3 4 5
  do
    if [ "$STARTED" == "" ]
      then
        # Daemon has not yet been started
        if ( /sbin/ifconfig $INTERFACE >& /dev/null )
          then
            # Interface is up - Start daemon
            snort-or-whatever
            STARTED=1