Re: IMPORTANT: your message to html-tidy

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 01:42:43PM +0200, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > Sorry, I have to take that one back.  I just checked Craig Sanders'
> > > original mail and found that he indeed uses the taiwan.blackholes.us
> > > blacklist.
> >
> > *USE* is not the same as *ADVOCATE*.
> >
> > two different words, with entirely different meanings.
>
> Indeed.  But you *advocated* the use of arbitrarily escalated blacklists
> as well:
>
> In <[🔎] 20030910053214.GB15563@taz.net.au>, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 04:17:22AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > [If spam filtering is going to become useful and widely deployed
> > > *without* Balkanizing the Internet, then approaches such as yours
> > > (which is essentially what AOL is doing now) cannot be widely used.]
> > >
> > > On your own system, for your own use, sure.  For general use?  Nope --
> >
> > yes, definitely for general use.  it's just as effective for general use
> > as it is for my personal use - in fact, if more people did the kind of
> > stuff that i do then there wouldn't be a spam problem, because the
> > spammers would just give up and go home.

i advocated doing the *kind of stuff* that i do.

i've also advocated that people make their own choices as to which RBLs or
anti-spam rules are appropriate for their systems in their environment.

nowhere have i advocated that anyone must do everything exactly as i do and use
exactly the same RBLs etc that i do.  in fact, that's the exact opposite of
what i've been saying.

> So please don't make me look like I'd be misrepresenting your statements.

you are.  or at least, you're taking them out of context.

craig