Re: tmda: Challenge-response is fundamentally broken (RAPNAP)

on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:32:01AM -0500, david nicol (davidnicol@pay2send.com) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've been trying to popularize a centralized challenge-response
> database since last fall.  It seems to me that becoming a debian
> package maintainer for the software to use it would make sense.
>
> Unlike TMDA's distributed profusion of extended addresses, a
> central RAPNAP (return address, peer network address pair) database
> only needs to send out a challenge when you change your outgoing
> SMTP server.  In effect, a central server caches challenge responses,
> so individual challenges are no required all the time.

All the faults of C-R and TMDA, with the added efficacy reduction factor
that trust is now made transitive across the all users over the entire
system.

Bzzt.  You lose.

Try again.

Peace.

    Americans [...] need to watch what they say.
    -- Ari Fleischer, White House Press Secretary
       http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010926-5.html