Re: apt-get internals help

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:50:14AM -0400, Neil Roeth wrote:

> I did not realize the full context of what you were trying to do from your
> initial question. You're proposing a fundamental change from a process that is
> static and noninteractive (so that build daemons will work, package building
> is reproducible, etc.) to a process that is dynamic and interactive (so users
> can custom build packages for their environment). It seems you were hoping to
> tweak a few scripts and be done, but it will take more than that.  I think you
> need to step back and think it through more deeply.

  If they are global defaults, a la Gentoo, perhaps a small shell script
 would do the job:

 #!/bin/sh
 #
 # ~/bin/gcc - Give GCC global flags
 #
 /usr/bin/gcc `cat /etc/gcc-options.default` "$*"

  Obviously that's just a bare idea, a more complete solution would have
 to look out for conflicting arguments, and work with G++ etc.

  That would give you the oppertunity to specify global flags for GCC
 for all your builds.

Steve