apt-get internals help

On Sep  4, Matt Chorman (matt@legalizefreedom.org) wrote:
 > I am currently trying to use apt-get source to compile a few source packages.
 > I would like to pass some custom configure flags to the configure process -
 > i.e. something like conifgure --with-mysql. The dependancies are met, I just
 > need to pass this flag. As far as I can see, apt-get does not have this
 > ability. I can also not find in the source of apt where the system call for
 > configure is.. So my question(s):
 >
 > Am I missing something? Can apt-get pass configure options?
 >
 > If not, could someone who knows point me in the right direction in the source?

You need to look in the package itself for the call to configure, not in the
apt source.  Suppose you are attempting to download and compile foo_1.2.3-4.

apt-get source foo	# no "--compile" option
cd foo-1.2.3
vi debian/rules		# find the call to configure, add "--with-mysql"
fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us

This will result in a .deb in the directory from which you called apt-get
source, which you can install with dpkg.

--
Neil Roeth