Re: overwriting files from modules packages

also sprach Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> [2003.09.01.0853 +0200]:
> Abbreviated example:
>
>   make-pkg --append-to-version -2-686-smp kernel_modules
>
> Produces:
>
>   /usr/share/man/man4/bcm5700-2-4-21-2-686-smp.4.gz

Not by default. I could make that happen manually though, which is
what I will do, in addition to /etc/alternatives.

> So this conflict seems to be only possible if the kernel is
> constructed raw with no version over and above the upstream kernel
> version.  That does not seem very common nor useful.  I would be
> happy to continue into the discussion of why kernels need to be
> named uniquely which is different from most packages.

No need, I am with you.

> I use the broadcom module and I have never run into this case
> since I am not sure it is useful (for me anyway) to build a kernel
> without some type of identifier for the type of kernel and the
> version of the configuration of that kernel.

I do too, but I get the problem. As I said, the manpage is called
bcm5700.4.gz. It does not include the version info yet.

> I have to ask if this is really enough of a problem to justify any
> handling at all, special or otherwise?

I cannot upgrade my kernels to a newer version without
--force-overwrite. So yes.

`. `'`