Re: Accepted kaffe 1:1.1.1-1 (i386 source)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:05:21AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> A proper entry is as follows:
>
> * New upstream release.
>   * no longer does foo when bar happens. Closes: #12345
>   * wrapper script rewritten to not use $$ in tempfile names.  Closes: #12345
>
> Please, everyone remember, a changelog documents *changes*.  It's not a tool
> to close bugs automatically.

Maybe a tool that integrates debian BTS/changelog behaviour could help.

eg. You run program and give name of package.

You see a list of bugs associated with the source packge.

You select one of the bugs.

It comes up with a screen with two windows:

1. One where the can review the bug history.

2. You type in extra information with what has changed,
and an entry is automatically added to the changlog.

You then repeat the process for the next bug report.

This is still very rough, but I think it gives the general idea.

Such a program could also make it easier to do common BTS tasks,
eg. merge duplicate bug reports, etc.

If we could make it easier and quicker to write correct changelogs,
I think they are more likely to occur.

(Assuming such a tool doesn't already exist...)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>