Re: MEI Whitelist Autoresponse

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:03:37AM -0700, Adam McKenna wrote:

> Also, I don't have any hard data to support this, but it's obvious to me
> that the volume of mail generated by virus scanners in response to Sobig.f
> eclipses the volume of TMDA challenges by at least a factor of 10.  So far,
> I haven't received *one* TMDA challenge that was due to Sobig, but I've
> received *hundreds* of messages from virus scanners all over the net.

Yes, and every single administrator that's configured their virus
scanner to bounce to envelope deserves a swift kick upside the head.

> So, I guess we should add virus scanners to the list of verboten software.

No, but they should be configured to *not* bounce to envelope sender.

As for email challenges, I've actually received a lot of them. Every
single one of them so far has been for messages I have not sent (spam
and viruses with my forged email address). I no longer read them, but
dump them just like I dump the 'virus in your email' messages. So, if I
ever send mail to a legitimate person who has CR, he's never going to
get my message, because I refuse to waste my time reading CR requests
any more.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA