Re: MEI Whitelist Autoresponse

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:20:52AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:39:43 -0700, Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net>
> wrote:
> >Yes, it does present a very good example of poorly written C-R software.
> >Paul should switch to TMDA.
>
> In which way would have TMDA avoided sending a challenge to the
> header-from: of a sobig.f instance?

TMDA doesn't send challenges to From: addresses, it sends them to the
envelope sender (Return-Path) address.

But to answer your question, it is trivial to create a filter that drops such
messages instead of sending challenges.  I have updated my personal filters
to make sure this doesn't happen again, and other users of TMDA should do
the same.

Also, I don't have any hard data to support this, but it's obvious to me
that the volume of mail generated by virus scanners in response to Sobig.f
eclipses the volume of TMDA challenges by at least a factor of 10.  So far,
I haven't received *one* TMDA challenge that was due to Sobig, but I've
received *hundreds* of messages from virus scanners all over the net.

So, I guess we should add virus scanners to the list of verboten software.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>