Re: tmda: Challenge-response is fundamentally broken

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:44:34 +0100
Stephen Stafford <ssta@pol.ac.uk> wrote:
> Sorry, but I do NOT see how this is a grave bug.  It's wishlist (at best).

    I tend to agree with the grave aspect.

> YOU might not agree that C-R systems are good (personally I detest them),
> but that does NOT mean that we shouldn't release one.  If the package is in
> good shape and functions as advertised, then it IS fit for release.

> Hey, how about if I decide that emacs is a huge bloaded piece of shit?  Does
> that mean we shouldn't release it?

> Or if I decide that CUPS is rubbish and lprng is the One True Printer
> Daemon?

> Or that Gnome is a steaming pimple on the arse of desktop managers?

> As long as SOME users like it, and find it useful and it fits THEIR needs,
> then we should not be removing it from Debian (as long as it meets DFSG).
> tmda appears to meet those criteria.  It is NOT your place to decide what
> software our users can and can't use.

    Fine.  Some users like to send spam should Debian then package all spam
producing software?

    Just because some users want the software is not enough of a reason to
package and distribute it when there is a clear and demonstrable bad behavior
inherent to the design and implementation of the software in question.
Karsten's original filing proves there is a clear and demonstrable bad
behavior inherent in *ALL* C-R systems.  While I dislike Emacs and Gnome one
would be hard pressed to demonstrate how they or their design are inherently
exhibiting bad behavior.

> This is NOT a grave bug.  You have given NO reasons why the package does not
> work as advertised, or fails to build, or fails to install or causes major
> breakage to significant numbers of systems.

    Yes, Karsten did.  Did you skip over the entire report or should we start
packaging viruses now, too, since they perform as expected regardless of their
effect on the larger picture?  IE, it is possible for a package to "work as
advertised" and still be wrong.

> All you have is an opinion that C-R systems are bad.  I share that opinion,
> but that does NOT make this a grave bug.

    I await your spam and virus packages with earnest.