Re: DebToo: Debian, Gentoo-style

Chris de Vidal wrote:
> Volunteers needed!
> http://debtoo.org

I guess you haven't read

Benchmarking Debian's Performance. Indranath Neogy tried to
[35]discover what kind of gains the source based nature of Gentoo
might give it over Debian and Mandrake. The tests included timing how
long it took to open a large sheet in Gnumeric, how long to compile
the Linux kernel and how long to perform various operations in GIMP.
Gentoo was expected to lead in the tests, but the results showed no
significant variation between the distributions. Simple recompiling
doesn't seem to speed things up, fine grained tuning may.

 35. http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1

before assuming that recompiling everything will benefit *anything*?

Apart from that, you'd better help fix those FTBFS bugs and see that
the source packages are conforming with the current policy, contain
enough build-deps and -conflicts and that sbuild, pbuilder and
whatever are able to rebuild the package to your need.  After that,
it's a "simple" dpkg --get-selections|grep install|cut -d' ' -f1|
while read p; do $rebuild-command $p; done[1].

Btw. it's "author" and not "auther".

Regards,

	Joey

[1] Not exactly, but in general...

--
WARNING: Do not execute!  This software violates patent EP0394160.
http://www.elug.de/projekte/patent-party/patente/EP0394160

echo -ne PROGRESSBAR\\r;for i in `seq 11`;do sleep 1;echo -n -;done;echo