Re: galeon in Debian stable

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:40:39AM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
>   It's great to see so many positive comments about galeon. Hopefully
> 1.3.8 will go into stable. [galeon developers - is this likely to be
> released in the next 3 weeks, or should we really be looking at 1.3.7?].
> If that's not released in a few weeks, I think we would be best looking
> at a well tested cvs snapshot - there have been many great changes since
> that release (5% of the changelog in only 1 month!).
> I'll make a new snapshot package and upload to unstable tonight. I might
> then use experimental for new snapshots for a while when trying to get
> at least one version of galeon 1.3 into testing. Once 1.3.8 (or wherever
> we decide to freeze) is in unstable I will also continue to make
> snapshots for those of us who want them and upload these to
> experimental.

Way to go Mark! I'm looking forward to 1.3.8, sounds promising :)

>   When I replaced the unbuildable, uninstallable galeon1.2 in sid with
> 1.3 snapshots from the galeon-snapshot package I was sent a lot of
> flames (and so was the bts). This was obviously counterproductive (as was
> the similar situation happening upstream around the time of the epiphany
> fork). That's why I wanted a decision to include galeon to be made on
> debian-gtk-gnome rather than taking all the responsibility myself :)
> (I was also concerned about releasing a developmental version in stable
> - this is my first Debian release after all)

You learn a lot in release cycles. I, for example, did a big mistake
with nano during the woody freeze, which caused nano in woody not be as
good as it should have been. I basically uploaded an unstable version of
nano to debian unstable, thus blocking the possibility of providing
fixes to the stable nano in testing. First I thought nano 1.0.6 was
perfectly ok, but then we found out that the boot-floppies needed a
feature in 1.0.8...

In your case, there's no choice. 1.3.x is the best version we have, and
nearly everyone is happy with it.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/