Re: FTBFS: architecture all packages

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>
> > Why not? Just block binary uploads completely, and let everything get
> > built by the buildds. I certainly plan to do that with my own uploads.
> > (I've already set up my own buildds).
> >
> > I'd go one step farther and schedule a low-priority rebuild of everything
> > that build-depends on a package which gets updated.
>
> How about this:
>
> * Maintainer does normal build, doing -all and -arch debs.  Maintainer
>   uploads.
> * dak verifies upload as normal.
> * dak adds new source to unstable, but not the debs.
> * buildds then proceed to build new source.  one buildd is choosen to build
>   the -all debs.

Nearly perfect.

The archive scripts might have problems with sources without debs.

I also suggest building the -all debs by multiple buildds (all but one
with low priority if you fear overworked buildds) and throw away
maybe-successfull builds automatically (by all but the primary buildd).

Doogie already said he wants to implement a smart comparator for deb
in dpkg 2.0 which would then be used to compare that different builds
of the binary-all even give the same result.

I also like the idea of rebuilding packages with newer versions of
their build-depends (or tool-chain) when a buildd is idle. That too
would require a more automatic handling of maybe-successfull builds
that won't be uploaded.

MfG
        Goswin