Re: #206298 spip: prerm script blindly removes directories

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 05:38:42PM +0200, Gaetan Ryckeboer wrote:
> Le Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:26:14AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins a ?crit :
> >
> > Is this uploaded data recorded anywhere?  In the MySQL database
> > perhaps?  If so, the file names can be retrieved from there for
> > removal on purge.
>
> Mmm... yes and no. Some of them could be. But a user may upload files
> without using them in the application.  So, the files are available,
> but unused, and unreferenced.

That would appear to be a deficiency of the spip app and one that should
probably be brought to the upstream developers attention.  The
application should probably log all uploads.

> > Additionally, you may upset users by simply deleting their uploaded
> > files on purge.  Some may see this as deletion of user data, which
> > should not be done.
>
> Of course, I understand. But I wonder they won't upload personal files
> for another use than spip here...

This falls into something of a grey area.  Can the data concievably be
of value ot the user without spip?  If so, then it is probably user data
and should not be removed without confirmation from the user (debconf
prompt that defaults to no?)

> > As someone else has already pointed out, /usr/share should be
> > capable of being made read-only.  Any runtime changing data for an
> > application
>
> True. But due to the implemntation of the application, which is
> written in php, datas are stored on the program dir. There is no real
> separation between datas and functions.
>
> And if i symlink some datas (for apache access AND direct file handler
> access), i'll will setup another alarm... and it won't be accepted.

So, use Alias directives to relocate the directories that need changing
data to /var/lib.  There is no need to use symlinks to accomplish this.
As a matter of fact, your current apache include enables the following
of symlinks, which it doesn't need and probably shouldn't. I can provide
examples of this if you need.

--
Jamin W. Collins