Re: Binaryless uploads [Was: FTBFS: architecture all packages]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:20:37AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Brian May <bam@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Source package has the following files (note: this is called a "source
> > package" not a "binary package"):
> >
> > webmin_1.100.orig.tar.gz
> > webmin_1.100-2.diff.gz
> > webmin_1.100-2.dsc
> >
> > Extracting this source package and running debian/rules build would
> > produce the following *binary packages*:
> >
> > webmin_1.100-2_all.deb
> > webmin-core_1.100-2_all.deb
> > webmin-apache_.100-2_all.deb
> > webmin-squid_.100-2_all.deb
> > [...list truncated...]
> >
> > Jaldhar, please tell me what the problem is with the above approach.
> >
> > You will notice that there is only one source package, but multiple
> > binary packages.

> Say webmin-squid now has a RC bug, that would keep all webin debs out
> of testing, right?

Yep.  And given that upstream offers webmin as an all-in-one solution to
web-based management needs, I don't really see any reason why they
shouldn't be kept lock-step with one another.  I particularly don't see
why it's good that bugs in this group of packages themselves be ignored
for testing processing of the others.

Does webmin even provide any standard APIs that guarantee particular
modules will work with particular versions of webmin?  Version slip here
seems like it could pose a serious problem, even *beyond* the usual
partial upgrades question.

> PS: If that is your problem write better code. :)

Very...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer