Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions

[Nikita V. Youshchenko]
> I'm not sure that everything can be done this way.
>
> E.g. in a "distribution" (better to say - custom installation CD) I
> maintain here I expect users to use kppp to connect to their
> ISPs. To make this work by default, I have to comment out whole
> contents of /etc/ppp/options during the last stage of the
> installation. I don't think that pppd maintainer will agree that
> such thing should be provided by debconf.

You can get base-config to do whatever you want, so it should be
possible to do this in that context.  But I suspect it would be better
to make some generic method in the ppp package to do this.  I know
very little about ppp config, so you will have to take my suggestions
with a grain of salt. :)

> Could you give an URL to such script?
> I need one badly. Unfortunatly, discover/mdetect/read-edid based dexconf is
> far from perfect, especcialy in detecting capabilities of the monitor. And
> hadrware detection is not what I am an expert in :(.

Sure. The Skolelinux packages are available from APT source 'deb
ftp://ftp.skolelinux.no/skolelinux/ woody local'.  This package is
called xdebconfigurator at the moment.  The source is in the
Skolelinux CVS,
<URL:http://developer.skolelinux.no/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/skolelinux/src/>.

> >  - Configure default language for all users
> >
> >      Using a custom script to rewrite config files to modify the
> >      default language/locale.
>
> Seems that feeding correct value to debconf for "locales" package fixes
> this. At least for me.

Well, it is not enough, as KDE, ispell, Opera and possibly others do
not use the glibc locales.

> Currently I install "locales" and "console-cyrrillic" (with all
> dependencies) very early - I modified debootstrap to do so. Default
> values to debconf database also are written by modified
> debootstrap. So I have russian properly set up already when
> base-config runs.

If you want to supply patches to termwrap in base-config to enable
russian installation, that would be very welcome. :)

And if you want to help us make a russian version of Skolelinux, you
are also very welcome.  Check out
<URL:http://i18n.skolelinux.no/new-language.html> to see what is
needed to add a new language.

> Users want to configure their X display easily (resolution,
> frequency, etc).  E.g. from KDE control center. They complain that
> other distros let them to do so. I am not familar with distros other
> than Debian so I don't know what to do.

This would be nice, but we do not have it in Skolelinux.

> Also users want all their hardware to be detected and configured
> automatically. Well, discover does something, but again, users
> complain that XXX is not detected/configured/working properly, while
> everything is ok with other distros.  Maybe there are better tools?
> Please share your experiense.

We use updated HW databases with discover, and are satisfied with that
solution.  Now the updated discover-data is in Sid, so everyone can
use it. :)