Re: [custom] Some issues for custom debian distributions

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Joey Hess]
> > If you need to generate your own Packages files, which you might want to
> > do for various reasons, you could instead add Task: overrides to the
> > Packages files. Then use 'tasksel install' (that command may need to be
> > fixed first) to install the task. This would sidestep the dependency
> > problem.
>
> This would only work with CD installs, where we can control the
> packages file.  I would like it to work with network installs as well,
> so I want another mechanism.

You should be able to control the Packages files for network installs
too. Just put them up on a server with a debian mirror and the
skolelinux packages, and modify choose-mirror and apt-setup to use that
mirror.

> > As discussed at DebConf, I would like to make debconf have better
> > support for pre-populating a database, when I find some time to work
> > on it.
>
> I believe it should be part of d-i and base-config, to make sure all
> custom distributions use the same mechanism.  We could just copy the
> Skolelinux method into base-config, or come up with some other method
> if you do not like that.

It has to work around some infelicities in debconf that I want to fix in
debconf. I agree that base-config should have a standard way to preseed
debconf.

--
see shy jo