Re: Exim User<->ISP Setup Issue

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> Ok, I admit it I don't know how to configure my MTA.

> I want to setup Exim to deliver email retrieved by fetchmail for my local
> user but forward all other email to my mail server for processing. Sounds
> simple, right?  I have been working on this for several hours and still
> can't figure it out. I seriously doubt a new user of Debian would either.
[...]
> This allows for fetchmail to deliver my email to me, but I can not send any
> email to anyone else on the same domain since my exim thinks its the MTA for
> the entire domain and spits back unrouteable messages.

> So how can I make this work?

That is basically FAQ Q0403.
Q0403:  How do I configure Exim to send messages for unknown local
users to a central server?

A0403:  Assuming you are using something like the default
configuration, where local users are processed by the later routers,
you should add the following router at the end;
[...]

/untested/

$ cat <<EOF > /etc/exim4/conf.d/router/950_local_rerouteunknown
unknown:
  driver = manualroute
  domains = cheney.cx
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = * DCsmarthost
  no_verify

EOF
$ invoke-rc.d exim4 reload

> If there is a way for it to work the exim4
> maintainer should also make a note of what to do for this type of setup,
> which I would assume is quite common.

I cannot think of a way to integrate this nicely and I think you
should simply remove cheney.cx from "other domains" if you aren't
hosting the domain on this specific computer. fetchmail will continue
to work as it delivers with envelope-to @localhost anyway, the only
problem you'll have is that _locally_ generated mails to
ccheney@cheney.cx will be routed via the smarthost.
             cu andreas