chroot build environment

I've found a couple of references to creating a chroot'd build
environment, but I'm not sure that those are the right way.

I have a problem with a program on an ARM CPU.  The program compiles
and links OK for IA32.  On ARM, in a cross-compilation setup, the
program doesn't appear to link correctly.

I'd like to try building it natively on ARM to see if the problem is
with the ARM packages or with my cross development setup.  The key
package, libgd2-dev, isn't available on debussy.

Is there a standard method for creating build environments?  Joey Hess
explains one way using the base2 package.  I think I need to be root
to do it, though.

Cheers.