Re: Accepted coreutils 5.0.90-1 (i386 source all)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 11:52:42AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:54:57PM -0400, you wrote:
> >But for chown:
>
> I wrote the changelog entry before I decided to do the posix hack. It
> was true at the time. :) The back-ported changelog entry is:
>
>    - chown: `.' is no longer recognized as a separator when POSIX2
>      version is >= 200112
>
> That will probably change again because the LSB (*really stupidly*)
> mandates that chown accept the '.'.

If it didn't manate this, and lots of stuff broke when the POSIX
rules changed, then people would be blaming the LSB for breaking lots
of essential scripts.  You can't win either way...

Whose fault is this really?  POSIX, for mandating something that
breaks huge numbers of historical scripts?  That's what I would vote
for....

							- Ted