Re: Accepted coreutils 5.0.90-1 (i386 source all)

Michael Stone wrote:
>      - chown: `.' is no longer recognized as a separator

>    * temporarily override posix version to 199209 so I can upload this package.
>      need a transition plan. try setting the environment variable
>      _POSIX2_VERSION on your system to "200112" and see how much breaks.
>      I encourage debian developers to update their packages so the above works.

I'm glad you did the _POSIX2_VERSION hack, and I will turn it off for
everything except interactive shells[0] after I've seen a few other
people do so and survive. :-)

But for chown: we've had plenty of advance warning, but there are
still piles and piles of packages in debian that use dots with chown.
I find 62 instances in the p* scripts on my system[1], and more in
/usr/bin, and I imagine sources are littered with Makefiles and
debian/rules that do it -- I find several dozen in the packages I maintain.

This will be a lot of FTBFS bugs, and a lot of annoyance every time a
user of unstable installs a package from unstable, and it could cause
upgrade issues if anything in stable uses chown in its postrm and is
upgraded after coreutils.

Any chance the chown behavior can also be switchable?

--
see shy jo

[0] you'll have to pull head -n from my cold, dead, finger-macros
[1] grep -h chown /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.p* |grep -v '[:(]' |wc -l