Re: Release-critical Bugreport for August 15, 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, BugScan reporter wrote:

This mail is about those packages which are (not!) maintained by maintainers who did
not noticed the transition of PostgreSQL.

Perhaps some other packages who has nothing to do with PostgreSQL could go into
main - but I'm quite sure with the following:

> Package: dbf2pg (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@debian.org>
>   197472 [        ] dbf2pg: uninstallable; please recompile with libpq3
Some notes to the state of this package:
  1. The upstream source mentioned in the copyright file seems not to
     exist any more
  2. Using Google I found
       http://custom.lab.unb.br/pub/database/dbf2sql/
     which shows at least two *newer* upstream sources (well they are all
     from 1996 ...)
  3. Further googling showed that the program is now in the posgresql contrib area
        http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/pgsql/contrib/dbase/
     and seems to be actively maintained there guessing from the file date.
  4. The postgresql-contrib package contains the tool and thus there seems
     to be no need to keep dbf2pg.
  5. The maintainer seemed not to have noticed that PostgreSQL is now in main
     and there is no reason to keep this package in non-US.

The question is: Why not remove this package which would fix at least one RC bug.

> Package: gtksql (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org>
>   198708 [        ] gtksql: FTBFS with gcc-3.3: Uses multiline strings
Some notes to the state of this package:
  1. The last maintainer release is from Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:04:08 +110.
  2. Upstream is obviousely dead.
  3. There are some other tools with same functionality available
     (pgaccess, tora and hopefully (!) soon PgAccess3, which is really
      promissing).
  4. The maintainer seemed not to have noticed that PostgreSQL is now in main
     and there is no reason to keep this package in non-US

In my opinion this package can be droped if there no further upstream development
will be noticed.

> Package: guile-pg (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Paul J Collins <pjdc@eircom.net>
>   191956 [        ] guile-pg: uninstallable
Some notes to the state of this package:
  1. The package did not change it Alpha status since July 8, 2000
     so it is obviousely dead upstream.
  2. The debian Maintainer did no upload since Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:56:26 +0000
     and leave the bug report mentioned above more than 100 days with any comment.
  3. The maintainer seemed not to have noticed that PostgreSQL is now in main
     and there is no reason to keep this package in non-US

If there no Guile developer resists I would drop this package.

> Package: python2.1-pgsql (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Ben Burton <bab@debian.org>
>   204342 [ +      ] [S] python2.1-pgsql: Data loss / segfault
Any reason why this package is residing in non-US?

> Package: qttudo (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Dirk Lipinski <grisu-qttudo@debian.org>
>   189837 [        ] qttudo: depends on the old libpgsql2 instead of libpq3
>   195005 [        ] qttudo: much newer upstream source available with Qt3/KDE3 support
Last bug says it all.
Damn, why does nobody care for this fine chance of highjacking?
Sorry, I can not widstand while seeing this unmaintained package.

> Package: www-sql (non-US/main)
> Maintainer: Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
>   198837 [        ] www-sql: FTBFS: Undefined reference to mysql_connect
Some notes to the state of this package:
  1. The package dates from Nov 17, 1998.  This must not be a problem but
     might be worth a revision.  (Nothing against old software, anyway.)
  2. The Debian package is actively maintained but I see noo reason why
     it should be in non-US.

I suggest to move it to main (if mossible).

Kind regards

         Andreas.