Re: Ideas about allowing Co-maintainer

Em Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:42:20 +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin <gaudenz@soziologie.ch> escreveu:

> If an obviously good an correct patch does not get applied, why not
> prepare an updated package yourself an ask for a sponsor for an NMU,
> explaining all the reasons for this uncommon action. I hope you will
> find someone willing to do the upload if there are good reasons. Did
> someone ever try this? I did not see any such request on debian-mentors.

Not a good thing, sometimes... for instance, I have a patch for an
important bug filled for sylpheed-claws. I know upstream is working
on this issue, but it is far from trivial, and I am not willing to
maintain a patch that causes too much discrepancy with upstream's
version.

Also, testing has its rules, and maintainer's policies on allowing
packages to enter testing, etc should be respected... so I believe
this is not that good in some cases.

I also believe that we need stricter rules on how to get packages
going, anyway, because we must have a release, and we want to have
the packages we love in it. So, I'd suggest that trivial stuff
or RC bugs should be taken care of through NMU's if, after a one
week delay the maintainer does not respond with a justification
of why he's not uploading.

Normal and important bugs, especially on upstream stuff should really
have a special treatment, and more strict rules, and NMUs should
really be done only by people closely following the packaging work.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>