Re: apt-ftparchive and apt-file disagree on Contents file syntax

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 06:40:33PM -0400, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

> I found after a bit of trial and error with my private apt repository,
> that although the output of "apt-ftparchive contents" looks like this:
>
> path/to/file/1				package1
> path/to/file/2				package2
>
> the syntax expected by "apt-file list <package>" is instead this:
>
> path/to/file/1				section1/package1
> path/to/file/2				section2/package2
>
> and in fact "apt-file list" ignores any line in a Contents-* file with no
> "/" in the package field on the right.  (Oddly, "apt-file search" doesn't
> have this problem.)
>
> Which package should I file a bug against: apt-utils (for apt-ftparchive)
> or apt-file?  Is there an official Policy on format of the Contents-$arch
> file somewhere?

Probably the closest thing to a standard is what's on ftp.debian.org (which
has the section).  Though, personally, I don't find the section to be useful
in this context; it's just another thing to strip out in order to do the
most common operation.

--
 - mdz