apt-ftparchive and apt-file disagree on Contents file syntax

I found after a bit of trial and error with my private apt repository,
that although the output of "apt-ftparchive contents" looks like this:

path/to/file/1				package1
path/to/file/2				package2

the syntax expected by "apt-file list <package>" is instead this:

path/to/file/1				section1/package1
path/to/file/2				section2/package2

and in fact "apt-file list" ignores any line in a Contents-* file with no
"/" in the package field on the right.  (Oddly, "apt-file search" doesn't
have this problem.)

Which package should I file a bug against: apt-utils (for apt-ftparchive)
or apt-file?  Is there an official Policy on format of the Contents-$arch
file somewhere?

regards,

--
Kevin McCarty                Physics Department
kmccarty@princeton.edu       Princeton University