Re: kernel-headers as Build-Depends

Joerg Wendland <joergland@debian.org> writes:

> Marc Haber, on 2003-08-11, 18:51, you wrote:
> > ulog-acctd has the same problem. An architecture-dependent dpatch
> > patch is brought with the package that provides the needed header
> > files.
>
> I see. But I must say that this is an issue that should be resolved
> somehow. I was thinking about it a bit and found two problems:
>
>   1. How can we make kernel-headers-* usable as Build-Depends?
>      I had the idea of introducing a kernel-headers-common package
>      containing some kind of kernel-headers-config script telling the
>      path to the latest kernel headers repository. So if there were
>      kernel-headers-2.4.19-1 and kernel-headers-2.4.21-3 installed, the
>      script would output '/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.21-3'.

Only kernel module should need kernel headers. Any user space program
should keep its hand of them.

>   2. Should it be considered a bug or is it intentional, that there are
>      packages like libc6-dev that behave completely different for
>      different architectures? The last successful build of ulogd on
>      powerpc[0] for example was on May 13th, 2.5 months later with just
>      some revised packaging instructions (Debian revision -4) it won't
>      build anymore due to changed(?) headers[1].
>
> I think it is a bad solution to patch a software in a architecture
> dependant way just because some packages are that different on several
> architectures.

Its somewhat of a bug for glibc to ship headers that aren't to be used
or are non functional.

But the solution would be rmoving the headers and your deb still
wouldn't built. You have just been lucky it did built before.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Have you tried using the alternative header?