Territorialism (was: Unmaintained Packages)

Marc Haber wrote:
>On 09 Aug 2003 11:54:59 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow
><brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
>>The maintainer is still alive and kicking. If you are intrested in
>>taking over ifupdown or become coauthor ask him. If he says no pster
>>him about the bugs till he gives up :)
>
>I have been talking to ifupdown's maintainer for a lot of times, but I
>currently don't see any chance to get the (fully backwards-compatible)
>patch from Bug #88948 into the mainstream package before sarge's
>release. Which is a real pity.

Does he (/she) have specific objections to the patch?

Or is it just a not-invented-here attitude?

I've seen a *lot* of complaints about territorialism by Debian package
maintainers.  ("No, this is my package! I won't give it up! I am still
maintaining it!", even when it hasn't built from source for a
year.)  Can anyone think of an institutional way to address this?  I
can't offhand, but I'm sure someone is smarter than me. :-D

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html