Re: [Proposal] Debconf4 in Brazil

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:11:46PM +1000, Aníbal Monsalve Salazar wrote:

> > As Mako mentioned, Brazil has been extremely active in the Free Software
> > movement but very unrepresented at the past Debian conferences. The Real
> > (Brazilian currency) is weak compared to USD and EUR which makes coming to
> > Brazil from these places affordable but going from Brazil to Europe or North
> > America extremely difficult.

> > There already is a good deal of planning to host the conference some days
> > before or after the Fórum Internacional de Software Livre (International
> > Free Software Forum)[1], so that Debian developers can join us in this event as
> > well.

> Last FISL was from Thu 5 to Sat 7 June 2003, so I guess it will happen
> again from Thu 3 to Sat 5 June 2004.

> If FISL occurs during the second week in July 2004 and Debconf4 during
> the following week, it will coincide with the school holidays in
> Australia and Europe and (I guess) more people will start making plans
> to go to FISL2004 and Debconf4.

From what I can see, plane tickets in July are also correspondingly more
expensive, since this is a popular travel time; since Brazil is a long
flight from everywhere :), I think this is a factor that also needs to
be considered.

> IMO, it will be more effective to help DDs from other countries in
> America (America != US) like Argentina, Colombia, Chile, etc. With the
> same amount of money, you could bring more DDs from neighboring
> countries to Porto Alegre than from Europe, Canada or Australia.

Well, there aren't that many DDs in South America /at all/ outside of
Brazil; I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they could all
get travel assistance if they wanted, while still providing financial
aid to others outside of South America.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer