Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 05:03:02PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
> > The only barrier I see is that it would clean the environment variables.
> > Yes, this is a popular attack vector, but it is by no means the only one.
>
> The wrapper couldbe setuid root and drop to game.
>
> But I rather have some game exploits than a root exploit due to a
> buggy wrapper.

This doesn't sound _entirely_ unreasonable.  The wrapper would be simple
enough that one could have a high degree of confidence in its security.
However, it does obfuscate the process, making it difficult to see how it
works from looking at the filesystem.

--
 - mdz