Re: paul: NEWS.Debian abuse

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:15:42 -0500
Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> No sooner do we get support for NEWS.Debian files than they start being
> abused, just like the debconf note templates that inspired NEWS.Debian
> support in the first place.
<snip>
> How does this information matter at all to the typical Debian user?
> What can the typical Debian user do about this?  If paul ends up being
> unsuitable for release in sarge, a release-critical bug should be filed
> against it.
<snip>

I agree, this is not information the administrator likely cares about.
If they do, they are in all likelyhood participants in a more
appropriate forum (such as the one you mentioned,
debian-devel@lists.debian.org).

Moreover, I'd also like to point out phpmyadmin's current NEWS.Debian
which is very long and which appears mainly to be a distillation of
upstream CVS logs.

Assuming every package did this for every new upstream release,
administrators would end up reading more text from NEWS.Debian entries
than they would from changelog.Debian entries. This is ENTIRELY
DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF NEWS.DEBIAN.

:)