Re: Should md5 password settings be preserved across upgrades?

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:43:43PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Matt Zimmerman said:
> > Hmm, I pasted the wrong bug.  I was sure someone had filed a bug about
> > the fact that these conffiles were being modified by scripts, but I
> > can't seem to find it.
>
> The bug should really be reassigned to base-config, as it's overwriting
> other packages conffiles, no?  That's the real root of the problem here, I
> think.  I know that Debconf Is Not A Registry, but there should be some
> way to communicate this sort of thing between programs.  Or, alternately,
> maybe the questions should be merged into pam, and removed from
> base-config?  That would put the changes in the right place for upgrade
> scripts to notice them, which would be a start, at any rate.

The most elegant solution would seem to be to enhance pam to be able to read
a set of defaults for all programs, which would be overridden by the
/etc/pam.d/* files.  This would clean up a lot of other things as well.
I certainly wouldn't want every PAM-using program to ask me what settings to
use; I want them all to do the same thing unless I change their
configuration file.

--
 - mdz