Re: Should md5 password settings be preserved across upgrades?

This one time, at band camp, Matt Zimmerman said:
> Hmm, I pasted the wrong bug.  I was sure someone had filed a bug about
> the fact that these conffiles were being modified by scripts, but I can't
> seem to find it.

The bug should really be reassigned to base-config, as it's overwriting
other packages conffiles, no?  That's the real root of the problem here,
I think.  I know that Debconf Is Not A Registry, but there should be
some way to communicate this sort of thing between programs.  Or,
alternately, maybe the questions should be merged into pam, and removed
from base-config?  That would put the changes in the right place for
upgrade scripts to notice them, which would be a start, at any rate.

|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |