Re: About NM and Next Release

[on list, this time. sorry]
On Saturday 09 August 2003 04:48, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> You can talk but you can't second a proposal. You somewhat can (or
> could) make a proposal since that isn't signed and normaly noone
> bothered to check if one was a DD. But thats more of a backdoor than
> the proper way of proposing chnages.
>
> Actually pushing some changes into affect becomes harder because you
> first have to find some DD to push the changes forward for you.

Don't know if you don't overrate these things - if you're idea is a good one,
it should be easy enough to find DDs to support it (especially if you're
offering to do most of the work). Most changes in Debian that are proposed
and not accepted are shot down not because people agree but it doesn't get
implemented, but because many people have different opinions on how this
thing should be handled. You get these mega-threads without any resolution
coming out of it - and I guess even if you are a DD, you won't introduce a
change in Debian if support is weak.

Some real-world examples where you feel you can't propose/implement a change
would be nice. But from what I saw in the debates after woody release about
changing testing or such things I have the feeling that many if not most
things were proposed by DDs and not by outsiders. Very few of these things
(if any) have been implemented.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Debian is the Jedi operating system: "Always two there are, a master and
an apprentice".