Re: Fw: Re: Ruby 1.8 transition plan; debian-ruby

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 12:12, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> Since ruby 1.8.0 was released recently, ruby developers will go to
> ruby 1.8.x, so that we, ruby maintenance team (akira, tagoh, ukai),
> are discussing about how to deal with Ruby 1.8 transition and trying to make
> debian ruby policy soon.
>
> For now, ruby package provides /usr/bin/ruby of ruby 1.6.x, and
> ruby1.8 package provides /usr/bin/ruby1.8 of ruby 1.8.x.  Someone
> want to use /usr/bin/ruby of ruby 1.8.x, so we're considering to use
> alternatives for /usr/bin/ruby to choice either ruby1.6, ruby1.8 (or any
> other version of ruby in future).

There was a bug about this at some point, which I can no longer find,
where I suggested doing for Ruby what Python does. Which is essentially:
- 'ruby' is a metapackage depending the current default version of Ruby
for Debian.
- 'rubyX.Y' is a specific version of Ruby. 'ruby' depends on one of
these.

- 'libfoo-bar-ruby' is a metapacakge depending on libfoo-bar-rubyX.Y,
where X.Y is the default version of Ruby (the same as the one 'ruby'
depends on).
- 'libfoo-bar-rubyX.Y' is foo-bar for a specific version of Ruby. The
above depends on one of these. (These packages may be unncessary if the
directory tree I outlined below is used, and the package is
version-independent.)

As for module include paths, they're less important since most Ruby
modules query Ruby for the right information at build-time anyway, but
I'd like to see version-independent directories, and also preferrably a
tree under /usr/share, too. Say,

These are arch-independent:
- /usr/share/ruby for Ruby modules that work with any version.
- /usr/share/ruby/X.Y for Ruby modules that depend on version X.Y.

These are arch-dependent:
- /usr/lib/ruby/version/X.Y/#{arch}-#{os} for all arch-dependent
modules. I believe most architecture-dependent modules need to be
recompiled for each version of Ruby anyway, and so a version-independent
architecture-dependent directory makes no sense.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>