Re: How to install X-Chat in five hours (or more)

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>>
>>> Note that, if for some reason the user knew about the command
>>> "apropos", even that wouldn't help him -- none of dselect, aptitude,
>>> and apt-get come up for "apropos install" or "apropos setup".
>>
>> I do believe they are mentioned several times in the manual.  Y'know,
>> that thing collecting dust over yonder.

> What manual?

> I receieved the machine with Debian preinstalled and no offline
> documentation except a post it note with the root username and password.
> On other systems (Mac OS X, Windows XP, etc) I am clearly shown where to
> look for more information (on Windows, in fact, the OS goes to the other
> extreme and tries to ram help down your throat), but on Debian, there was
> no clear path to the documentation.
[...]

* In my experience the windows-help system is frequently next to
  useless, it looks pretty, but is not helpful.
* $total_computer_newbie is completely at loss with windows, too (just
  tried it two months ago).

If somebody set up your machine totally b0rked (mixed sid/testing)
without installing the docs it is not Debian's fault. If you want to
start with Debian, Suse, RedHat, or whatever you have always have to
find a decent manual or at least a person who sets up the system and
helps you.

Yes, you probably can install RedHat by just pressing enter but you'll
get stuck on the third day without manual and learning to help
yourself, Debian will just bite you earlier.
            cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_