Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

Bernd Eckenfels <lists@lina.inka.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:21:00PM +0200, Artur R. Czechowski wrote:
>> OTOH this case concerns not only mutt but also other MUA's. Feel free
>> to discuss it on debian-devel mailing list or propose a changes
>> to Debian Packaging Policy. I will leave this wishitem open until
>> an agreement is reached.

> There are enough SMTP/POP3 MUAs which do not need any MTA infrastructure on
> the local host, whatsoever.

Yes, probably almost all the others with whitespread userbase, for
example pine, mozilla, (afaik) sylpheed, kmail do support SMTP.[1]

> Mutt can fetch by pop-3, but I think it has no
> smtp support build in, or?

Yes, but iirc there is unofficial patch for linking mutt against
libesmtp on the web.

Imho mutt's dependency on mail-transfer-agent is strong enough for a
Depends. - There are usage szenarios which do not require an
mail-transfer-agent (reading mbox-archives of mailing-lists) but mutt
without MTA is seriously crippled.
              cu andreas
[1] I won't list Gnus but would be really surprised if it _needed_
/usr/sbin/sendmail ;-)
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_