Re: Should MUA only Recommend mail-transfer-agent?

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 08:00:03PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> There are enough SMTP/POP3 MUAs which do not need any MTA infrastructure on
> the local host, whatsoever.
But there are some important packages which depends on MTA directly, like:
at, cron, debconf, logrotate, mailx.

I can imagine a workstation without those packages but it is, IMO,
mutilated box.

> Mutt can fetch by pop-3, but I think it has no
> smtp support build in, or?
Mutt has no support for SMTP.

BTW, there is no need for exim4-daemon-heavy. There are other lightweight
MTA's.

Another solution is to prepare a dummy-mta package, which only
provides mail-transfer-agent and required by policy /usr/sbin/sendmail
and /usr/bin/newaliases binaries to do nothing[1].

Advanced Debian users has another opportunity to solve this problem: equivs.

I would like to know Md's opinion, but for me there are no reasons to relax
dependencies for mutt (and other MUA). I would not like to do it without
policy requirements because it concerns also other MUA's.

I, personally, like the dummy-mta solution, however nullmailer also looks
good.

Cheers
	Artur

[1] maybe logging to syslog will be good.
--
http://hell.pl/arturcz/