Re: Should this be filed as grave? Gcc-2.95

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:14:08PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:37:32 -0400
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > What you meant to do was to run "make CC=gcc-2.95" instead of make.  There
> > is no need to futz around with the default gcc version; just ask for what
> > you want.
>
>     Uh, no.  I am aware of that.  That, however, did not prevent it from
> running the wrong GCC.  v2.4.21 of the kernel had a problem with 3.3.  It
> would die repeatedly on the same line in ide-cd.h.  I did tell make to use
> gcc-2.95 and it failed on the exact same line.  Removing gcc, which is 3.3,
> gcc-2.95 which depended on 3.3 (this is NOT 2.95 in my eyes) and then
> installing the packages from woody did allow me to recompile that version of
> the kernel.
>
>     I fail to see how 2.95 installing 3.3 somehow equates to 2.95.

I fail to see how 2.95 installing both 3.3 and 2.95 somehow equates to
a problem!  It brings in 3.3 for hysterical raisins, but that doesn't
stop gcc-2.95 from being perfectly usable.

I build kernels with alternate compilers all the time.  Did you check
the log to see which compiler the kernel actually built with?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz