Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, [iso-8859-2] Micha³Politowski wrote:

> On Fri,  1 Aug 2003 19:19:10 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> [...]
> > From my investigations, I thought that the intended use of dpkg-statoverride
> > was by the local administrator, modifying the default suid/sgid and
> > ownership of the file as set in the package tarball.
>
> This is also my understanding. Still, some packages do use it for better or
> worse reasons.
> One example I've just found in uml-utilities.postinst:
>
>   if ! getent group uml-net >/dev/null; then
>       addgroup --quiet --system uml-net
>   fi
>
>   if ! dpkg-statoverride --list /usr/lib/uml/uml_net >/dev/null; then
>       dpkg-statoverride --update --add root uml-net 04750 \
>           /usr/lib/uml/uml_net
>   fi

There are plans to remove this nescessity, by having the preinst add the
user/group, and having the deb contain the dynamic permissions itself.

This would mean all packages that current Depend on adduser would have to
Pre-Depend on it.  It also requires some changes to dpkg-deb.