Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Fri,  1 Aug 2003 19:19:10 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
[...]
> From my investigations, I thought that the intended use of dpkg-statoverride
> was by the local administrator, modifying the default suid/sgid and
> ownership of the file as set in the package tarball.

This is also my understanding. Still, some packages do use it for better or
worse reasons.
One example I've just found in uml-utilities.postinst:

  if ! getent group uml-net >/dev/null; then
      addgroup --quiet --system uml-net
  fi

  if ! dpkg-statoverride --list /usr/lib/uml/uml_net >/dev/null; then
      dpkg-statoverride --update --add root uml-net 04750 \
          /usr/lib/uml/uml_net
  fi

--
Michał Politowski -- mpol@charybda.icm.edu.pl
Warning: this is a memetically modified message