Re: setuid/setgid binaries contained in the Debian repository.

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:24:13 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Not without a transition plan in the general case. And my point,
>> which you have not addressed, was that most of your examples were
>> not ones that mandated significant changes to the source or
>> behavior of programs.

>> First, most of these alloowed people time to bring their programs
>> in line. Secondly,, no new programs were kept out of the
>> distribution by requiring an audit and a consensus on debian-devel;
>> You got the program in, and you worked on the bugs that were filed
>> on it.

> So by analogy, the debian-legal list should not be able to block new
> software with potentially bad licenses from entering the archive.
> Instead we should have some kind of "teansition plan". Fascinating,
> tell me more.

	*Sigh*. I didn't think I would need to tell you about our
 social contract, nor that you would find that exposition
 fascinating. Since even you appear to be confused about this
 distinction, perhaps I should not be making assumptions about other
 readers of this list.

	Hmm. See, we have this thing called the social contract,
 which we all agreed to, and which is one of the core things about
 Debian. The social contract provides a guideline to determine what we
 call free.

	That is hard at times to do, so we have a bunch of people,
 who, in the goodness of their heart, donate time to help people
 determine how to apply those guidelines.

	I also note that the -legal list does have gating rights over
 every package; they mostly respond to request from maintainers who
 are confused about some license. Packages are not held up until the
 list provides the proper penguin pee. There is no dictum in policy to
 beat people on the head with to make them go to the list and get
 consensus.

	It is one thing to have a clearinghouse where expertise
 lives, and to have that clearinghouse offer expert services when a
 developer is in doubt, and quite another to use policy to ram these
 volunteer services down every ones throats.

	Did you find this as elucidating as my previous message?

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> I haven't objected to code reviews of packages; I objected to
>> gathering consensus through discussion; and making admission of new
>> packages incumbent on such consensus.

> Again, how is this different from the debian-legal mailing list?

	Again, there is nothing in policy that requires a consensus on
 the -legal mailing list in order for packages to be included in the
 project.

	If I am confused about a license, yes, the -legal list exists
 to disambiguate the license; and help me decide whether it should or
 should not be in Debian. No beating me on the head with policy at
 all.

	Is this distinction really so hard to see?

	I would be enthusiastically for a list like -legal, where
 people can go and ask for help to have packages audited, but not for
 people rolling up policy to beat people on the head to make it so.

	manoj
--
"Keeping proprietary and confidential information secret is the key to
moving the computer industry into the 21st century." Letter from Apple